How to make email safer: fundamentals of the best email security solution
Email is the lifeblood of most businesses. Yet it is also the entry point for over 90% of cyberattacks, with several recent high-profile security breaches showing it has become a clear and vulnerable target.
Increasingly sophisticated attacks to steal money, credentials, customer data, and other valuable intellectual property are putting firms and employees at risk. Is your business protected from known dangers such as phishing, whaling and ransomware as well as other, yet unknown, emerging zero-day threats?
Zero-day attacks exploit previously unknown vulnerabilities within a piece of software, and use this weakness to access a corporate network rapidly before it becomes known and can be fixed or patched. These threats are on the rise and only the most sophisticated email security solutions with multi-layered detection engines can defend against them. It is therefore essential to review your levels of protection regularly.
Know the risks
Email attacks can quickly compromise your corporate data and have a devastating effect:
- Loss of intellectual property, putting business concepts and strategic plans at risk
- Potential damage to reputation and customer loyalty if the breach attracts media attention
- Inevitable post security breach clean-up costs
- Significant loss of productivity with email downtime crippling business operations
- Loss of revenue if email is unavailable for an extended period of time
Compounded further by the launch of the new GDPR legislation on 25 May 2018, a breach could also lead to substantial fines for compliance failure.
Protect your business
The impact of any attack can be minimised by using an enterprise-class unified email management system that incorporates security and continuity. The best solution will:
- Have a multi-layered approach including protection against spam, malware and phishing
- Be cloud-based, meaning it is always-on to deliver perpetually up-to-date protection
- Remove threats in the cloud before they get to your network, by providing a safe “sandbox” environment to test for malicious attachments
- Maintain secure messaging and encryption
- Offer continuity via web or mobile apps, to securely access your emails anytime, anywhere
Is your email GDPR ready?
Email also provides a crucial corporate record of everything your organisation does and often has legal and e-discovery requirements. With GDPR just around the corner, organisations need to develop their email archive strategy to support the rigorous, new requirements. Powerful archive search functionality to quickly find, isolate and recover data will no longer be a ‘nice to have’, but rather a commercial necessity.
Need help? Bistech Email Security leverages a suite of industry-leading email management services to provide a single integrated cloud solution for email security, archiving and continuity. We are BSI certified to ISO 27001 - the international standard for Information Security Management. For further advice on business security, please contact us on 03330 11 22 55 for a straightforward, no obligation discussion.